Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Remembering great uncle William Joseph Williams

Yesterday while poking around online, I discovered this lovely site:
There are many kind volunteers who take photos of war graves, so I inquired about my great uncle, William Williams, who I had discovered two years ago through another fantastic website.
The head of the project, Steve Rogers, kindly got back to me, and I followed the instructions and ordered a picture of William's grave. The above photo shows the whole cemetery, in Salonika Greece.
William's plot is in Section D, number 828.

So if I never get to Salonika, I have a wonderful photo of his grave.
A reader of this blog kindly left a comment telling me they had translated the Welsh words on the grave stone and they read: "Blessed be the pure of heart for they shall see God."
What a blessed hope!
I'm simply thrilled to have found this. One thing leads to another in genealogy!
There are many threads involved, intricately woven together.
I love discovering them each week.
Rest in peace, dear sweet William.
By Loretta Houben

No comments: