Sunday, February 9, 2014

Matthew's 25th birthday!

I find it hard to believe, but 25 years ago our son, Matthew, was born, before 8 am, in Burnaby BC, at the same hospital I was born in!
Here is his first photo, taken by my sister Marlene. Isn't he darling?
He was alert to his surroundings from the very beginning, and he loved to eat.

Here I am, exhausted after C-section surgery, totally unexpected after 10 hours of labour.
I was convinced that I'd never see Robert again, as the doctors and nurses rushed me into the emergency operating room a few hours before. Matthew was in a breech position and he was suffering some distress. Robert wasn't allowed into the operating room.
But when I woke up, and the nurses told me I'd had a baby boy, I refused to believe them.
Everything felt like a foggy dream, and my throat hurt terribly from a tube being in it.
However, when I saw Matthew for the first time, I didn't care anymore that he was a boy.

Robert holding Matthew for the first time.

Grandpa (my Dad) meeting Matthew. This was his first grandchild.
I'm not sure why my Mom isn't in the photo!
Happy 25th, dear Matthew. You've brought us so much happiness and joy.
By Loretta Houben

3 comments:

Betty said...

Time flies doesn't it? Happy Birthday Robert!

Betty said...

I meant Happy Birthday Matthew. Robert is your husband, so I'll wish him an early or late Happy Birthday depending on which it is. :)

Simply Shelley said...

Love the pictures...he was a very alert newborn,wasn't he? Eyes wide open! Happy belated birthday to Matthew...blessings to you dear Loretta