Monday, April 13, 2015

The Brutke homestead in Amity, OR.


I'm having fun using Picmonkey.com...try it for yourself!
It's all free. There is an upgrade for more content, but what I've used here is free.
I am learning how to make collages, and I'm learning how to layer.
One thing for sure, I can't believe it's been 40 years since this happy summer when I was only 15.


This is the only photo I have of the inside of the old cabin my maternal grandparents, Adolph and Helen Brutke, bought in the 1910's. (I can't remember the exact year they moved here from Taylor, Texas.) It was called a "cabin", and the big bedroom in which I and two of my sisters are standing in was added on after my grandparents bought it. When I knew it was going to be torn down so that my Uncle Ed could build a new tool shed, I was heartbroken. I think my mom was too.
I took a piece of wallpaper from the wall of that bedroom. I need to scan it in. It has a white dotted stripe, with tiny blue flowers in between, on what looks like a pale grey background.


Each summer we had such fun on this farm. It was simply marvelous to unwind from the big city of Vancouver BC, and roam free and wild over Uncle Ed's acreage. Down by the creek it was so relaxing. We would pick cherries in the morning, and play here in the afternoon. To the left of this photo, there was a steep hill with a small grove of tall fir trees. I loved to sit underneath them in the shade, during a hot and humid day, and listen to the breeze in the branches above.
Such happy times, 40 years ago.
By Loretta Houben

No comments: