Thursday, May 14, 2015

Days of the week T-towels.


A long time ago, way back in 1981 when I was engaged to Robert on November 1st, my mom Susie began to plan for my wedding shower. She had saved a set of 1940's flour sack fabric for T-towels (from Amity Oregon and which were really used for flour sacks) and she picked out a design and began to embroider while I was at work. She had 5 months to complete them in her busy schedule.


She chose a darling duck pattern and I just love her tiny exquisite stitches and the pretty colour scheme which she chose. I used the T-towels for many years, as that's what one did in the 1980's!
But then I came to my senses and realized that if I kept on using them they would wear out.
Now they are carefully kept in a dark cupboard.


For Christmas in 1972 my mom gave me a lovely yellow sewing basket complete with needles and embroidery thread, and a set of T-towel fabric so I could sew my own. I chose an iron on pattern from Harvey's store on Kingsway and Earles. I picked little Dutch girls, and set to. It was hard work. 


I finally completed the set years later as an older teenager.
I think it's interesting that I married a man of Dutch descent, don't you?
By Loretta Houben

No comments: