Monday, August 27, 2007

Bath, England


Taken from my notes on Sat July 21:

We didn't stay long in Penygraig, due to hunger and the rain clouds swiftly approaching. We went back to Cardiff around 1:30 and caught the train to Bath which took 1 1/2 hours. (we had a quick bite to eat in Cardiff) I started reading Harry Potter, book number 7 and Matthew read over my shoulder. He'd wanted to read it on the plane ride home but I got him going! It's just as well written as all the other books. What a gift JK Rowling has!

We adored Bath! Some places are so much better than my imagination, and this one definitely was! I've read quite a bit about Bath, but wasn't prepared for its uniqueness and beauty. It felt like a fairy tale sort of city. Robert and Matthew loved it too. If only we could have stayed here instead of Cardiff! (too expensive) The above photo shows us standing outside the Pump Room. We bumbled around and found things by following our nose. We arrived after 4:00 so the first thing we did was take a double decker tour bus of the city, and then we got off in the middle and walked around.

I wanted to have tea in the pump room. Robert seemed doubtful, but we ate there anyhow. It felt like a dream. We tried the famous Spa water. In this photo, you can see the girl posing, as it comes out of a spout. I had her pose like that. She thought it was funny. The water is 50 pence per glass, so we shared a glass. Matthew drank most of it, as he was the only one who liked it! The water is warm, and tastes like a boiled egg. I think I could get used to it, but I didn't know if it would make me sick or not, so I only had one sip.











Our tea was delicious. Matthew had a Bath bun. I had a scone. Every chance I get, I have a scone!

We visited the Jane Austen center, but I was the only one to take the tour of the Museum. There were costumes on display from a recent TV episode done in England. I can't remember the name of the movie or the Jane Austen story, but the costumes were beautiful. I was the only one in the whole room as it was the end of the day.

I can't figure out where people vanish to at the end of a touristy day. Maybe they go back to their hotels to watch TV? Myself...I like to drain each traveling day to the dregs! I stay up for as long as possible, seeing all there is to be seen.





Isn't this doll model darling? She was in the museum, showing the style of clothing in Jane's day. I love those dresses!



No comments: