Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weighing in...153 lbs!

Due to my wretched state of health I just couldn't blog each day the past week, however today I'm feeling a tiny bit better. Whew. I might live after all! I weighed myself today and was astounded. I'm 153 lbs! That's 7 lbs lost in 3 weeks. I don't want to find those pounds ever again. I'm delighted with my progress, although I wouldn't recommend getting bronchitis to help the weight loss. Ugh. I'd rather be healthy and exercising the weight off, instead of coughing it off! 

I finished reading three more Anne Perry books; Resurrection Row, published in 1981; Rutland Place, pub. in 1983; and Cardington Crescent, pub. in 1987. A total of 6 books read in 2009 so far. To me that's a lot. I'm totally immersed in Victorian era crime scenes. Anne Perry writes so convincingly; when I open her books I'm immediately zapped into the late 1860's in the outskirts of London, England. Anne's characters are very real, and her descriptive scenes of both upper and lower class society are gripping in their rich detail. I especially love the scenes where etiquette is described, and the scenes of the interior of the wealthy homes. Even Charlotte's home intrigues me, though; I first learned about drying racks in kitchens from Anne's books. I've seen an example of a drying rack like she describes, at the Burnaby Village Museum. Here's a link to the Museum

Here is a photo I took of the unique drying rack at the Burnaby Village Museum, on Victoria Day in May 2004:


This is Elworth House, where the drying rack can be found in the kitchen. This house was built in 1922 by a Vancouver designer, and it's a romantic revival cottage. It's just my cup of tea! I long to live in this house.

This is a view of the dining room.

By Loretta Houben

3 comments:

Betty said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. I hope you're feeling a lot better by the time you read this comment.

You must read fast! I read so slowly and reread the same sentence sometimes two or three times. I'm easily distracted.

Did you ever see the PBS specials some years back? There was The 1900 House and another series that was a Victorian home in England...among others. They were really the first reality shows. Modern day families would move in and have to live like they did way back when. I wish they'd run the series again.

Write 2 The Point said...

Great job Loretta! You are doing an amazing job

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Congratulations on your weight loss..I sure hope this finds you feeling much better. I know that stuff has been tough this winter. What a beautiful home..thanks for sharing. Thanks for swinging by the Pink Saturday post...you are just the sweetest...hugs ~lynne~