Sunday, July 19, 2009

A wonderful day on a sailboat!

We are having such gorgeous hot weather here in Vancouver. It began at the beginning of June. We are rejoicing, even in the heat. It was quite hot the other night and I didn’t sleep well at all, as we do not have A/C.
I have to remember to water the grass on our watering days, or it would be very brown by now. We have had rain on and off, but mostly hot sunny weather. I just love it. 

 Yesterday a brother of a co-worker at Robert’s work took us out on a wonderful sail boat (the Outspan Coast) that he co-owns with 3 other people. I found out such a boat costs $250,000 so I won’t be buying one anytime soon! We went to the marina near Granville Island, and boarded at 9:30 am. We left the crowded harbour at 10 and headed for Bowen Island, which is a 2 hour trip. We had brought our picnic lunches, and Robert’s brother Antoon, who is a marvelous cook, shared 2 huge salads (potato salad with fresh dill weed, and fennel salad). 

There were 8 of us all together, including 2 kids, who really enjoyed the trip. They were 12 and 8 years old and very polite and well behaved. I love those types of kids! I made friends with the little 8 year old girl, who was very chatty. We were the only “girls” on board! She even shared her shells that she collected by the salt water lake on Bowen Island. The sailboat was so neat. The owner put the sails up at one point; it’s really tricky. You have to head into the wind at a certain slant, and do it quickly. His brother piloted the boat while he did it. 

The cabin down below is very spacious, with a little kitchen, eating area, couch, 2 large beds fore and aft, and a tiny bathroom. I love boats. After our picnic lunch we took a small hike on Bowen Island, and had some ice cream at a little cafĂ©. I love that island. I don’t know how big it is. You can reach it by ferry too. The coast of BC is populated with intriguing islands. I’d love to tour them all one day. My little Nikon camera died last week, so I have no pictures to share.

1 comment:

Linda said...

it sounds like fun! Too bad about not having photos though!