Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The future of libraries?

I belong to SCBWI Canada. I maintain their website and edit the newsletter. The group is a lot of fun, and also knowledgeable and helpful in the world of children's writing and illustrating. It was always my dream when a young girl to become a chilren's book illustrator. That dream never materialized, although it's lurking somewhere in my inner being. I'm still working on my dream of writing a children's book, but I'm very lazy and sluggish, although I'm trying my best to get out of the rut. It's good to have dreams, and better yet if you work to make them come true. Recently our assistant regional advisor, Simon Rose, posted a link to an article about the future of libraries: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/09/04/a_library_without_the_books/ Please click on the link and let me know what you think. I'd be lost without my books! I love to handle them, rustle their pages, lose myself in their world, and gaze at their spines lined up on my shelves. When all the books are gone in the rest of the world, you will be welcome to come to my house, dear friends, and browse the pages of my vintage volumes, breathe in the dust of past years, and handle the weight of the book on your lap. Nothing can replace that scent and feeling; nothing!

2 comments:

Linda said...

It will be a sad day when we are a bookless world...when your guests are done at your place, they can come to mine which is full of books...

Linda

Write 2 The Point said...

Thanks for reading my blog Loretta and commenting on our birdies. WE certainly do share that in common, as well as our love for writing. I too, wonder about the future of our libraries