Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics 2010; Day 1: February 12, 2010

Granville Street View of the Hudsons Bay Company store.
Vancouver Art Gallery
Olympic Clock
Last lap of the Olympic torch relay, by dragon boat.
Me in Sochy House.
Russian Olympic athlete outfits.
Fedorov's hockey clothes.
Dear Nodar, killed on a practise luge run.
Our living room just before the opening ceremonies began.
Oh the excitement! I never knew the Olylmpic Fever would hit Vancouver like this! Here I am near the Russian Sochy House, which is near the Main Street Skytrain Station.
The Olympic Athletes Village is in the background. This is the closest you can get to it. They are well guarded. I went downtown yesterday (Day 1) to feel the excitement, and to see the Olympic Torch one last time at Granville Island. On my way there, I met a new friend named Nurgul. She and I spent the day together, taking turns taking each other's pictures. It was her birthday too and she had a fun day. It was great to see the crowds of happy people, and see it together sharing it with someone. Robert was busy working. I never saw the protesters, fortunately. I'll update periodically as I have time. I feel like I'm in a whirlwind of excitement, and I'm not even an athlete! Go Canada!
PS: the Olympic Opening Ceremonies were fantastic and so beautiful. My parents watched the whole thing and they've never done that before! I am proud to be Canadian!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I missed watching the cermonies on TV last night as the grandchildren were here. I am so glad you got to enjoy the excitment of the games and that you made a new friend.

Betty said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. See...it's worth it. People will see Vacouver and then make vacation plans. It will pay off in the end. I hear positive things. There are always protesors and little things that go wrong, but in the end everyone has a great time.

It was sad to hear about the luger killed in a training run. I was glad they remembered him last night at the opening ceremonies.

This week I'll be in Vancouver with you!