Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gang Style Crime in BC

I don't have a gory photo for this topic, although you can find them online. It's amazing what you can find on the internet nowadays. Last Saturday evening around 6 pm there was a targeted gang style shooting in the Metrotown Parking lot, near Sears and The Bay stores. This is unbelievable to me. My family used to shop every Saturday at Sears in Burnaby. So did Robert's family. My Mom loved the bargain centre where she would buy our pretty dresses and other clothes at a very low price, similar to today's thrift stores, only brand new. We never could have imagined that 20 years into the future a huge 450 store mega mall would be built right behind Sears, attached to it by 3 floors.

Anyhow, I heard on the news that there had been a targeted hit, and I searched online yesterday to see if I could find the details. A gang member was shot in his car at point blank range in the face. I found pictures online of the car with the bullet holes in the window. Amazing, right here in my neighbourhood. He had killed someone years ago, although he was only 32, and this I suppose was revenge. He had spent time in jail, and in my opinion should have still been in jail, but now he is gone.

Today I read another story online. Three years ago Ed Schellenberg, a fireplace repairman, was killed innocently in a gang style shooting, along with another innocent victim. My parents knew Ed and had referred him to us to have our gas fireplace cleaned a few years ago, so I had also met him. Ed was gunned down in a violent gang shooting while doing his job at a condo tower in Surrey.

I find it difficult to believe that this is the province I live in, and these horrific scenes of gang style murders are taking place way too often. Truly it sets my hair on end. Usually I don't discuss such topics on my blog, but Saturday's Metrotown mall incident has made me feel decidedly unsafe. I generally shop at the mall around 3 times per week, running different errands at the PO etc. I often use that parking lot where the shooting took place. I'm just a little creeped out today!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I was in that exact parking lot both Friday night and Saturday. Luckily for me I was gone when this occured. It is so scary these days just to go shopping...

Linda

Deanna said...

This is terrible, I live in a city where things like this are just the norm...sad. I'm from Lubbock but we moved to San Antonio seven years ago. Lubbock has it's crime yes, but nothing compared to what goes on here. I'd never seen homeless people until we moved here. The main thing that truly upsets me is the 'tagging' of buildings, signs etc...

Not sure why gang activity has gotten so violent these past ten years.

Deanna

Helen said...

I didn't hear about the shooting at Metrotown parking lot. That is scary. I use that parking lot often. Few weeks ago I should have been inside Monte Cristo at Oakridge when the three robbers went in. Thank goodness I wasn't there. I don't know what is happening to our once quiet and safe city. Where did all the homeless people come from?