Thursday, November 11, 2010

A day of remembrance and the Great War Memorial Plaque

Here is a picture of my Welsh relatives. I believe one of them died in WWI but am unsure of who is who.
This is the closest my ancestors came to fighting in any wars of any kind, so we've been fortunate.
I found something in my Grandma Alma May Williams' journal:

In the year of either 1913 or 1914 my mother took us to Cardiff to see her brother Bill before he went to war. Going through the hall he stumbled over me. He picked me up, held me way up over his head and said, “Oh little one” or something like those words. He was in his army uniform, a lovely young man. He went to the war as an artillery soldier, so when they got an air attack, Uncle Bill went out to get his horses out of danger, but he got blown to bits. He left a wife and little ones."
My Dad owns the above medal, which is very large, about 5" in diameter. 
I don't know the details of this medal or the history around it. But these are all the items I could dig up for Remembrance Day. The war is seeming very long ago. I know there are other wars going on today, including the one in Afghanistan, and I do remember the troops over there too.
Today I went downtown to see the Olympic cauldron as it was lit, and I saw a few war planes flying overhead for the ceremony at Victory Square. It gave me shivers to see those old planes.
I'm so grateful that I live in the free and wonderful country of Canada.
PS: I looked on eBay after posting this the first time, and discovered that the medal above is called a death plaque. So I Googled that word and discovered an amazing website:
Simply click on that link to read it. I found it very informative.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Wow Loretta, to have something as wonderful as your Grandmother's journal is just amazing to me. I wish I could have seen those planes fly over...it have me chills just reading it. I'm going to click on the link your provided so I can see what the medal is all about.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Deanna :D