Sunday, July 29, 2012

Discovering the modern name of Anieluwka.

My great grandparents, the Gusa family, lived in Anieluwka, Russia, now known as
Hannivka, Rivnens'ka, Ukraine.
This was from the 1860s (approx) until 1910.
Jerry Frank, webmaster of the SGGEE site, let me know the modern name, which was why I couldn't find it on the map! Today I Googled it, and took a photo and am putting it here on my blog so it sticks in my mind.

It's fascinating to find these things online!

Alas, Chernobyl is rather close to Rivne, which is only a 50 minute drive from Hannivka.
Rivne was once ROVNO.

Robert told me how to measure distances on Google maps.
What would I do without Google?
It's become my best friend!

This shows the driving distance from Rivne to Hannivka, just in case I ever get there and travel by car!
All this map viewing makes the geography stick in my head better. 
I feel like I'm in a vortex and all I can think about is Ukraine and the land of my forefathers.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Hi,
This is fascinating. I don't know how you managed to get all these information. Google is still a mystery. It is great that you found so much info about where your forefathers are from.