Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year 2013!

I prepared our last feast of 2012 last night:
baked ham with pineapple sauce, fresh green beans with Danish smoked bacon, mashed potatoes with cheese and green onion, pickles, and sparkling apple drink.
Colin happened to drop in to see his Mom, so he joined us along with Leona.

Leona contributed little quiches. It was very delicious.

Today I made New Year's Kuchen; a German recipe from my Mom. Her mother made these each New Year's day. They are easy to make, but tedious to fry. The dough takes one hour to rise, then the kuchen (cookies) take one hour to fry. I got smart and used two spoons to drop the dough into the hot oil.
I cooked alone, as Robert went to Willingdon Church to help take down the Christmas stage props, and Matthew never showed up as he slept in until 4:00, and my sister Marie and her family never came, (I had invited them last week by email but I don't think Marie reads her email all that often) and my parents didn't wish to come either. This is the first year my New Year's Kuchen have been turned down. Amazing...

Frying the kuchen. It takes a whole bottle of oil.

The first Kuchen of 2013.
They were delicious. I've conquered the knack of making them.
I ate around 8 all together. Not good for the waistline, but a great way to begin the New Year!
May all of you have a wonderful, happy and prosperous 2013, filled to the brim with God's blessings.


2 comments:

Diane C B Jones, TSSF said...

Hi Loretta! So sorry your guests didn't show up, after all your work. That happens sometimes, unfortunately. However, your Kuchen looks great, and I hope the rest of 2013 will be everything you hope for.

Loretta said...

Aw, thanks Diane! I hope to continue writing in 2013. Blogging helps a lot. I'm also into genealogy and find it fascinating. How is your writing going? I hope 2013 will be a good year for you and your family.