Thursday, February 7, 2013

1891 England/Wales census for Williams Family

If you click on these 1891 census images, you can see them much larger.
After hunting for the past few weeks for information on the Palmer side of my family (my paternal grandmother's maiden name) I decided to see what I could find for my Williams branch of the family.
I used WorldVitalRecords.com for these images. For about a week I couldn't access them, so I contacted support and within 2 days they had fixed the internal glitch at their end. I suffered some angst because I pay for this site. It's an offshoot of Ancestry.com but with lower prices. I got a good rate of $70 for 14 months, which works out to $5.00 per month. You can't beat that!
This census shows my great grandfather on the 4th line from the top, living at 394 Geufron Terrace in Festiniog, North Wales in the county of Merioneth. He is 37 at the time and he was a quarry slate man, or a slate quarry man. He spoke Welsh and was born in Carnarvon, Llandigon.
His wife's name is Elizabeth and she was born in Portmadog. 

Joseph and Elizabeth Williams had 3 children at this time; Elizabeth Ellen, age 6; John Griffith, age 3 (my grandfather) and Robert David age 1. I find it interesting that they all have a middle name. They were born in Merioneth Festiniog. I had found this census before but I'd never blogged about it, and didn't notice all the details. It's amazing what you can learn from these old documents.
I will now see if I can discover their house on Google maps.

No comments: