Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Little Harry and Wallis Williams in the 1920s

Uncle Harry Williams, my Dad's younger brother, sent me this copy by email today.
I'm totally thrilled, as I've never seen a photo of little Harry and Wallis Williams which were the sons of Nellie and John G Williams, my Grandpa and my Dad's father.
Nellie as you know passed away in 1926 and little Harry six weeks earlier in Nov 1925 in Watson SK.
I spoke with Uncle Harry on the phone today. I find it interesting that there were two Harrys in the family. Can you imagine being named Harry and also having a half brother named Harry? Of course, if the first Harry hadn't died I don't think my Uncle Harry would have been named that!
Uncle Harry told me he remembers that his father, John, sold a parcel of land on which Nellie was buried, so he had to dig up her coffin and he loaded it into a cart (maybe the very same one above) and took it to Bigstone Cemetery in Spalding SK, to re-bury her. Uncle Harry remembers sitting beside the coffin. If you are new to genealogy I will advise you to speak to all your living relatives. This is the first time I've spoken with Uncle Harry, never having had any interest in genealogy history or research before. I met him many years ago when I was a young girl, but don't remember it.
It's fascinating what each member of the family can recall, and it's absolutely astounding to see what photos they have!
By Loretta Houben

No comments: