Monday, November 11, 2013

Lest we forget.

95 years ago on this day, WWI ended. 
Until two years ago, I knew I had a great uncle who died in this war but I didn't know much else.
I didn't know what he looked like or where he had fought.
My Dad, Jack Williams, has his war "medal", a souvenir which was sent from the King to all the soldier's families if they died during action. Great uncle William Joseph Williams was wounded in his leg and died from his injuries on February 22, 1917.
He is buried in Salonika, Greece, so very far away.
To my knowledge no one in our family has visited his grave.
It's my dream to do so one day soon.

We will never forget you, dear uncle William.
by Loretta Williams Houben

1 comment:

S said...

How sad. I just read the welsh into a translator online and it said "Blessed be the pure of heart for they shall see God".
How did the families find closure with their loved one buried so far away...so sad. Bless him and all our veterans who gave so much for us all.