Friday, January 17, 2014

WWI centenary and Great Uncle William Williams.

I'm on the hunt to track down more information about my great uncle, William Joseph Williams. He fought in WWI with the RWF, the Royal Welch Fusiliers, enlisting in Wrexham Wales around August or September 1915 when he was 22 years old. He wound up in Salonika Greece (Macedonia) fighting with the 11th battalion, and giving his life on February 22, 1917.
I found the above book online, and would love to purchase it.
Here is the link
I also discovered a wonderful Facebook page; the Royal Welch Fusiliers, 1900-1919.
I'm hopeful they will be able to help me out with more details as to William's enlistment and death.
I've emailed them, and posted on their page.
I'm truly discovering the joys of technical media! The whole world lies connected at my fingertips.
What a shame the housework is neglected.
PS: Here is the wonderful page Ken Davies has put up online: 
Way at the bottom he has included the information about my great uncle, William Williams.
I wish he would provide a link to each name, but that would be a lot of work.
I've never seen such a website like his; it's just phenomenal. Go and take a peek!
By Loretta Williams Houben

1 comment:

jenann said...

Hi Loretta
The Imperil War Museum (opposite the school I taught in at the Elephant and Castle in South London)is opening a new online and physical exhibition about WW1 in August. The following info about it and what it might offer to those who had UK and Commonwealth ancestors who served then, might interest you.

http://www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/frequent-questions.php?sec=1#q7

Think I might have copied one of the info pages instead of the 'home' page but you'd be able to navigate through from there.
Jenni xx