Monday, June 9, 2014

Memories of the Stanley Park miniature railway, Vancouver BC.

June 7 & 8 2014 was the 50th anniversary of Stanley Park's miniature train.
I took these photos ten years ago, when it was 40 years old.
I'm so glad I did, as it was gutted by an arson fire in June 2012.
Also it didn't look as picturesque as my photos show, as it was turned into an Indian Village, I guess to attract the tourists. (I don't believe trains have anything to do with native Indian culture; I don't think the native Indians ever had trains) 

For some reason in August 2004, the Stanley Park station was empty, so I'm glad I took these shots. I lightened them up in a photo program as my first digital camera was only 2.5 mega pixels.
I remember lining up with crowds of people here when I was a young girl.

Myself and Matthew.

Leona, Robert and Matthew waiting for the train.

Here it comes! When I was young, it traveled the opposite direction. Sometimes peacocks were standing on the grass behind the train, and if we were lucky, they had their gorgeous tails spread out. I always associate Stanley Park with the strange cry of the peacock birds.

Robert, Leona and Matthew. There is barely time to snap photos before the train loads and takes off.

Returning to the depot. I believe the train winds through a two mile track, crossing back and forth in a circular loop. It was so exciting when I was small. We never went to Disneyland or Florida as a family, but we had the Stanley Park train!

When this picture was taken, the train was only 9 years old!
My Dad holding Marie, myself sitting beside him with Leona and Marlene in front of us.
By Loretta Houben

No comments: