Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Inventor of the television


90 years ago today television was invented, more or less.
I would never know about these things, but thanks to Google doodles which show up on my Google homepage I am learning quite a bit of history I wouldn't otherwise learn!
I snipped the above image and the one below from this website:
Television's creation 90 years ago.


I find this all very interesting.
On a personal note my parents bought their first TV in 1970 when I was 10 years old. They attended a church which instructed the congregation that TV was sinful and a waste of time and they were encouraged not to purchase one. When my parents began attending another church, they bought a TV and we discovered that although there were some unwholesome shows on it, for the most part it was very entertaining and even educational! The moral of the story being that everything should be done in moderation.
We had set times to watch TV. One of them was between 3:30 and 4:30 when we would watch shows like the Brady Bunch, or the Flinstones. My sister Marlene, 5 years younger than I, would always get up at 7 am on Saturday morning and watch cartoons. The rest of us would sleep in.

My parents enjoyed watching the news each evening at 6 pm, and on Sunday nights we would always watch The Walt Disney Show. I also loved Black Beauty, and later in the 1970's we loved The Walton's and Little House on the Prairie.
Leona loved Star Trek and anything that was science fiction.
We had a black and white TV. 

When I got married, Robert and I decided not to have a TV. In 1985 we got a computer, though, and I firmly believe it's more of a time waster than the TV ever was or could be! In 2003 when Matthew was 14 we decided to buy a TV at last, but by that time, Matthew was past becoming addicted to it.
TV has really changed in the past 10 years or so. 
I find it rather startling that our iPhones are so much more entertaining!
I'd rather have the Internet than TV any day.
How about you?
By Loretta Houben

No comments: