Monday, January 18, 2010

Memory Monday

Every Monday I upload a new vintage photo, or discuss a memory from the past.
Slowly, over time, you will learn all about my life and my ancestors!
Here is my dapper young father, John Herbert Williams, known as Jack because his father's name was also John. He is strolling down the streets of downtown Vancouver.
Unfortunately there is no date, but I would say this was around 1950 - 1952, when my Dad was 21 - 23 years of age. Isn't he handsome? I believe the department store in the background on the left was Spencers. (maybe Spencers Emporium?)
Notice the lack of plastic shopping bags! Notice the lack of jeans.
I love this era! The women dressed up when they went out, even if it was just grocery shopping. I like being casual, but not all the time. Look at the hats they are wearing!
My handsome Dad at the age of 21.
I don't know the name of the man standing beside him.
His good friends, Paul and Elizabeth Plesko are in front of him, with Elizabeth's sister Mary Nagy. My Dad hung around with them a great deal.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I love the old pictures too. I'm so tempted to buy an old hat when I see them in the antique stores. I just don't know if I'd have the nerve to wear it! I might stick out in the crowd.

Unknown said...

I have pictures of my handsome dad walking the streets of Vancouver too. I was born at Shaunasy (Sp?) hospital and my parents had a wee house off of Oak Street Bridge in the Marpole (Sp?) area. I mentioned you on my blog the other day, about the Olympics coming! The gnomes had their telescopes out looking towards Canada!