Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Market in Vancouver

On December 6th, I ventured downtown to see something new; the Vancouver Christmas Market, set up in a very small area next to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. There are around 40 little huts selling food and different items such as wool sweaters and caps, or honey. That's what I noticed. Nothing else appealed to me except the Kathy Wohlfahrt Christmas ornament tent, which after strolling around the place once, I noticed was smack dab in the middle of all the huts in a huge plastic tent. I had to wait for 1/2 hour to get in, as 60 other people surged in past me; it was disappointing. They had timed tickets. It was dreadful to find out about the timed tickets once I was in the line.

This is Jordan from Dusa Cheese Shop; he is Matthew's co-worker. I had hoped to go on opening day when Matthew was supposed to be working there, but there was a huge gas explosion which ripped apart this little hut and four others; fortunately no one was hurt! Matthew hadn't started work yet, and his boss hadn't been in the shop because he/she had slept in that day. Isn't that marvelous? I was so worried when I heard about the explosion.

Some of the Kathy Wohlfahrt ornaments. They are just beautiful. I bought 4 of them.

Very expensive indeed.

There weren't many of these left on the shelf; they were $300 each.

The tent was very, very crowded, and there were only 2 cashiers. I don't think they realized that Vancouverites are of German origin. LOL So many people were buying things.
It was an interesting experience, but the admission should be free. It's $2.00 between 11 and 2 pm, and $5 each after that.


Shelley said...

I had ever heard of Kathy Wohlfahrt but,I love those colorful glad no one hurt in the explosion....blessings

Deanna said...

The ornaments are adorable...I just love your photos!

Deanna :D

Helen said...

What beautiful Christmas ornaments. I never heard of Kathy Wohlfahrt. A timed ticket? Does that mean you have to leave at a certain time?
A very good thing Matthew's boss slept in that day of the expolsion.