Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sweet Sunday...

I've decided to blog each Sunday on church things, as church is a very big part of my life.
Plus, I found some old photos of my Dad's and decided that they should be scanned in.
Once they're all done I'll add them to Facebook.
My Dad was born in Spalding, Saskatchewan in 1929.
His father couldn't make a go of farming, so they packed up and moved to Vancouver in 1941.
They were Christians and attended the Salvation Army for a time on Cordova Street, and a Holiness Mission. Someone invited them to a new church which had begun in a home and was located at Fraser and Kingsway. The little church grew and the city of Vancouver wished to widen the roadway and gave the people land at the corner of Kingsway and Rupert. Work on a new church building began in January 1950.
My Dad took all these pictures. He was a true archivist!

Nearly finished.
That's Ed Spence's 1938 Dodge car beside the building.

View of the back of the church lot. Notice the bushes. Now there's a row of houses.
I believe that's Sara Neufeld in the foreground.

Side view of the church with Kingsway in the distance.
That's my Dad's trusty bike. He lived on East 22nd Ave at the time.
He helped a lot with the building of the church. It was completely done by volunteer workers.

The finished church in September 1950.
This was 5 years before my Dad got married, and 10 years before I was born.
Our family had many sweet and precious memories in this building.
I'll blog more about them next Sunday.
I hope you join me in this journey down memory lane.

By Loretta Houben

No comments: