Monday, March 4, 2013

Genealogy 101...library resourses.

Today Robert worked at home, in more ways than one!
He actually MOWED THE LAWN! The grass has been growing in leaps and bounds due to all the rain we've been having. It rained a great deal during February and the last few weeks have been rather balmy. So before the rain comes back, he whipped out the mower/mulcher and went at it.
We love this machine. It mulches the grass very finely so it goes back where it came from.
It acts as great fertilizer and best of all, we have no weeds and we don't need to throw anything out!

I borrowed Robert's bus pass and headed downtown for some genealogy research at the library.
That's my favourite thing to do these days. When I have the pass, it costs me nothing at all, except I will confess I do buy a cup of Blenz coffee at the shop there and I also splurged on a cheese scone for lunch. Then I took my coffee and went to the 6th floor and sat in my favourite spot. I read "Family Tree" magazine, the Nov 2012 edition. Those magazines from the UK are simply superb.
There was an article on researching your ancestral soldier which was so well written I spent $1.20 to photocopy the whole six pages. The library photocopier is very speedy indeed.

I also marked down a few websites to try out.
Family Tree Magazine has a blog; please click on the link to see it.
I really enjoy this magazine and have become addicted to it. It's so helpful to me as half my ancestors are from Britain or Wales!
First World War Centenary is another site I'll have to check out. August 4, 2014 marks 100 years since the start of World War I. My goal is to compile a binder/book about my two great uncles who both fought in this war; Great Uncle William Joseph Williams, and Great Uncle Robert David Williams, both brothers of my grandpa John Griffith Williams who did not fight in WWI but I don't know why he didn't. He would have been 26 when the war began, and 30 when it ended. Maybe he was too old.

Hmm...while clicking on all the links which I'd written down to try out, I found this one:
WWI Photos. It looks so interesting I think I'll end on that note and retire for the night.
I could spend hours researching WWI so I see that along with sewing, writing, gardening, etc I'll have to add the addictive hobby of WAR research. I don't lead a boring life at all! There aren't enough hours in the day, and there is no reason under the sun to ever be bored.

No comments: