Monday, May 13, 2013

More about Nellie Williams, my paternal Grandpa's first wife.

In this post, I wrote about how I found someone online who said he had copies of my Grandpa's first wife, Nellie's death notice and that of her first son. Today I received them in the mail! It was a very exciting moment for me. I found this volunteer, Garth Ulrich, by noticing his name on the picture of Bigstone Cemetery at the GenWeb SK project.
 I Googled his name, and discovered a link to contact him.
You really never know where things will lead you when you first set out to learn a new hobby!
The notice above is for the little boy, Harry Williams, my Dad's 1/2 brother, first born son of John Griffith and Nellie Williams. I assume that little Harry is buried with his mother in Spalding SK, in the Bigstone Cemetery.

And here is Nellie's death notice, but alas; no first name and certainly no maiden name! However it gives the date of her death which is helpful, and states she was born in Wales. Subtracting her age of 38 from 1926 I get 1888 as the year of her birth. It also states "13 days" so does that mean that her birthday was on December 24th, 1888? 
It must mean that, because if she turned 38 on Dec 24, and if you add 13 days, the date of death is January 6. I will next try searching for her birth in the free BMD for Wales online. I've found my Grandpa there, but only because I know his actual date of birth and his surname.
Anyhow, this was a very exciting day for me! I'm so glad to have found these clues about Nellie.

No comments: