Tuesday, August 13, 2013

August 11, 1928: my paternal grandparent's 85th anniversary.

85 years ago on August 11, 1928 in the village of Naicum, Saskatchewan, Alma May Palmer and John Griffith Williams were married. Here is the scanned copy of their wedding certificate.

My Mom has often told me the story, told to her by Alma May, of how the two of them had to elope to Naicum late at night and were married when it was nearly midnight, due to the fact the minister wasn't at home when they arrived for the marriage ceremony. There wasn't any white dress and veil. I'm not sure why. I never thought to ask my Grandma when she was alive. I'm sorry they didn't have a "proper" wedding but maybe they had no money saved. Just the previous year, in July 1927, Alma May had crossed the Atlantic Ocean to come to Canada with her parents and siblings. I don't know where she met John. There are so many unsolved mysteries and broken pieces to John's story. However, within 2 months Alma May was expecting my father, John Herbert who was born the following July 1st, 1929. At least that's one puzzle I know the answer to!

By Loretta Houben

No comments: