Sunday, September 1, 2013

September...a new month.

On Sept 3, 1955, my parents were married in a pretty garden wedding.
I've blogged about this before, but it will be 58 years they've been married this year!
Imagine being married to one spouse for so long. I think you'd be very attached to one another for sure! My parents are both Christians and love the Lord with all their hearts. Their faith has been an anchor in their married life. They also share many of the same interests.
Happy anniversary, dear Mom and Dad!

On another note, it's a new month with only 4 months left in 2013.
The summer has whizzed past, with July being the driest month ever on record in Vancouver history. It pleased us immensely, let me assure you.
August was a month of renovations. A new front side fence was added, and a beautiful new back deck. We plan to have a deck party tomorrow in celebration of my parent's 58th, and the new deck.
Linda P's husband Fil did the work. He's a very good carpenter.
He's also working on a front fence. I'll post photos at a later date.

It's also back to school time for all those lucky children out there.
Suffice it to say that I'm relieved I don't have children to raise in these days, with all the horrific problems out there, and the complete lack of morals in the world. (or it seems that way to me)
But somehow people muddle through! I'm glad I have the Lord to turn to, and the Word of God as my firm foundation. Underneath are the everlasting arms! (Deuteronomy 33:27)
It was 40 years ago I started High School in complete trepidation. 1973 was a very difficult year for me, as all my elementary school friends moved away or were in completely different classes. I also had to get glasses for nearsightedness and in some ways it helped, and in others it didn't as I hated wearing glasses and thought all my beauty had vanished! It's certainly interesting to read my diary for those years. 35 years ago, on Sept 2, I began my first office job at Canarim Corporation downtown at the corner of Granville and Hastings St.
Here's what I wrote in my journal about it all:

"I can't wait until I get my first paycheck, which should be next Friday. Karen Hunter phoned me Friday night, and offered me a job that she has quit. It is on Granville and Hastings, and is in an office on the 13th floor! I will do mostly filing, but also some typing and mailing. I will get paid $3.50 an hour, and work from 8:30-3:30. I accepted her offer, because I need to gain experience, and I would like some spending money. I am to start on Tuesday. I am quite nervous of course. Today we all went to Frank Baker's Attic, a nice restaurant with antiques. Afterwards we stopped by the place where I am to work, and 13 floors is a long way up! The building is modern, which is good, for then it won't be dingy." 
(Written on Sept 3, 1978)
By Loretta Williams Houben

No comments: