Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Refugee Crisis

Love the sojourner, therefore, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
Deuteronomy 10:19

I'm not one who is involved in politics. I will admit politics wearies my soul.
I'm not very adept at speaking my mind plainly.
I'm not adept at arguments.

But I do have eyes and ears, and over the past two months I have watched certain events unfold on national television. Lately I'm positively amazed and astounded at the comments issuing from a certain Republican leader's mouth. I find it hard to believe he's allowed to even say such things in public. But in America you are allowed to have a certain freedom of speech.

Today in the church which my husband and I attend, there was a special bulletin with the words:
"Response to the Refugee Crisis".
Living in Canada we cannot ignore the fact that our new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, has opened our borders to allow 25,000 Syrian refugees into the country by the end of February 2016.

They have already begun arriving in Montreal. I'm not too sure of the exact total so far.
Willingdon Church is having a refugee crisis consultation on Sunday January 10, 2016.
This is what is stated in the bulletin:

"Millions of people have been forced out of their homes over the past few years of conflict in Syria. Have you been wondering how to respond? Willingdon Church is responding to the Syrian refugee crisis by directing some of our budget toward MB Mission's Urgent Relief Fund. Besides giving, we want to have a multifaceted response that includes praying and serving."

On the back of the bulletin are ways to become involved.
One way is through Journey Home Community.
Another is by attending the meeting on Jan 10/16.
Another is by praying.
Another is by giving through the MB Mission.

It is amazing that this humanitarian plight is taking place in the world today, and a Republican leader who identifies as Christian is reacting in a totally un-Christlike way.
I'm amazed at his littleness of thought.
I'm astounded at his hatred.
I felt I had to react in this way on my humble blog.

If we cannot go to Syria with the Gospel Message, how amazing the Syrian people are coming here!
I don't remember the last time such an exodus happened, as in my teen years I wasn't aware of world events, and lived in my own dream world. (I'm referring to the Boat People from Vietnam.)

One thing is certain; both my maternal grandparents and great grandparents were all refugees fleeing their homeland of Russia when the government also turned against them.
At that time in 1910 and 1911, America welcomed them with open arms.
The borders were not shut against them.
There was no talk of them being sent back to Russia when they refused to participate in WWI due to religious reasons. How grateful I am that they sought asylum and were granted it.
May the Syrian refugees fleeing war and persecution also find peace and God's love here in Canada.
By Loretta Houben


No comments: