Monday, February 29, 2016

Memory Monday....Happy Leap Day!


Happy Leap Day!

This is only my 2nd leap day post on this blog, as I neglected to do it in 2008.
I have a brother in law, Dan Morgan, whose 14th real birthday is today.
I think it would aggravate me if this was my birthday, as I love birthday celebrations too much!
The little diary above belongs to me, and I diligently wrote in it from 1971 until 1974. 
I wrote every single day except once or twice. It's really interesting to read the thoughts of an eleven to fourteen year old girl.


The above was what I wrote for February 29, 1972.
Mrs. Simmons was our next door neighbour to our right. She lived in a small white house with one floor; no basement and no upstairs. I loved her little house. She had a living room with pink wallpaper, and a 1950's style theme of trees etc all over it. Near her large front window, in the corner, she had a huge TV. I remember going to her house to watch the moon landing in 1969, as we didn't have a TV yet.
Past her living room was a kitchen, and we used to watch her cooking or washing dishes through our dining room window! She never closed her curtains. She never knew we watched her. She had a budgie hanging in a cage by the back door.
Past her kitchen there was a hallway with two bedrooms and a small bathroom on each side. Once I had to crawl from the back porch through her bathroom window, into the house to open her kitchen door as Mrs. Simmons had locked herself out.
Isn't it interesting what you can remember just by a diary entry?
Mr. Mark Buch was our Pastor at the time, at the church we attended from 1969 to 1976 in Vancouver BC: the People's Fellowship Tabernacle on Victoria Drive near Kingsway.
He was a very jolly man, and when he visited us he usually brought large candy bars as gifts. I always liked him and his sermons. The services aired live each Sunday on KARI. I was always so impressed with that.

By Loretta Houben

No comments: